Friday, October 26, 2007

Colds? nettles? bph?

My nose resembles a big shiny copper tap and I daresay, going by the pile of balled up tissues strategically placed within a tight ten inch radius of the tiny pretense of a wastebasket next to my table (yet not quite daring to venture inside the basket), my aim is a bit off today.

Oh for a tablet of cetirizine!
What wouldn’t I give just to roll it in my mouth.. To feel the molecules disperse and be absorbed and course through my bloodstream till they race to where I desperately need them and restore some semblance of sanity to the throbbing disarray inside my head..
Wait a bit.. lets not branch off on crack here..
Coming back to my glorious sneezes which would for once and all silence all those who shake their heads reprovingly and tell me that I sneeze like a lady and that that shall be the death of me (phffft! to you, Anupam); after having combed all medicine cabinets and dresser tops and peered behind shelves in search of a tablet in vain, I decided that there might be solace to be had in looking at their brand names on the internet (don’t even ask. I make no claims to sanity right now) and maybe I could find some foods with antihistaminergic properties. (Steam did provide some relief, but it was rather short lived and it felt much worse after)

I came across stinging nettles as a promising candidate antihistaminergic. The glaring ‘alternative medicine’ tag put me off a bit, but the old limerick about nettles (which seemed to point at it being histaminergic) from the storybook mum would read out to us had me hooked.
A few more searches, and this is what I came across.

Not what I came here looking for, but I am going to bed amused by the thought of how our surgery Profs would react if we were to quote these clinical trials at a viva:

Popa, G., et al. “Efficacy of a combined Sabal-urtica preparation in the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Results of a placebo-controlled double-blind study.” MMW Fortschr. Med. 2005 Oct; 147 Suppl 3:103-8.
Lopatkin, N., et al. “Long-term efficacy and safety of a combination of sabal and urtica extract for lower urinary tract symptoms--a placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter trial.” World J. Urol. 2005 Jun; 23(2): 139-46.
Durak I, et al. “Aqueous extract of Urtica dioica makes significant inhibition on adenosine deaminase activity in prostate tissue from patients with prostate cancer.” Cancer Biol. Ther. 2004; 3(9): 855-7.
Sokeland, J. “Combined sabal and urtica extract compared with finasteride in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia: analysis of prostate volume and therapeutic outcome.” B. J. U. Int. 2000; 86(4): 439-42


nettles as a cure for benign prostatic hypertrophy.. I knew I'd get to wear my peace necklace and earth-mother smock someday.

2 comments:

falcon said...

try some brandy, rum and,coniac will work for sure...lol..
get well soon take care of ur health...
the season is changing take adequate precaution...
that's all i can advice to a doc...
take care...

falcon said...

SORRY g i missed g